Unlike other municipalities with legends as to how the names of their communities evolved that of Nueva Era was simple. It was ordered by then Governor-General Francis Burton Harrison when the town was created.
The town of Nueva Era originated from the eight (8) settlements of Padsan, Cabittauran, Paor Patoc, Pagpagong, Garnaden, Bugayong, Uguis and Tibangran. When the Spaniards set foot on the northern part of the country in 1572 to spread Christianity, the settlements were organized as rancherias each of which under the independent control of the chief. Acting on the petition of the chieftains of the rancherias of Paor and Patoc, the same were merged into one rancheria.
In 1915, when the chieftains of the rancherias were summoned by the Provincial Government of Ilocos Norte, the village heads thought it best for them to unite and form a town. Under the guidance of the Provincial Governor, they passed a pertinent resolution.
Pursuant to the provision of Section 2391 of the administrative code and with the favorable recommendations of the Honorable Secretary of the Interior and the Provincial Board of Ilocos Norte, the Governor-General issued Executive Order No. 66 on September 30, 1916 approving the formation of a new township effective July 1, 1916.